Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Slag Krema - Croatia


Slag Krema is not a very appetizing name for a dessert but I did like how it tasted.

When I was growing up in Canada, my mom would sometimes make "Cool Whip" or "Whipped Cream" from a little package filled with powder and some milk. I think it was called "Dream Whip". I imagine something similar is sold in the USA, but I have not come across any.

Well at the world food store I found some "Dream Whip" or at least what I figured would be close to it - and not only did I find some, but I found it in chocolate!

All you do is empty the powder into a bowl, add 3/4 c of "previously boiled cold milk" (I did not boil my milk, I figured that advice was for the Croatians) and mix with an electric mixer for a couple of minutes.


The number one ingredient in the mix is sugar and yet the instructions say to add sugar as desired. I did add a small amount of sugar but found it was pretty sweet enough before the sugar.

Both children did not like the slag. "It doesn't taste like chocolate" said the girl. I beg to differ. It's not a milk chocolate flavor - more of what you'd expect if you had added cocoa powder to some cool whip and then added some sugar.

The slag can be served as a "pudding" or it can be used to layer between a cake, which is the method I chose. I really liked it and I would use it again.

The slag comes in three flavors I believe - strawberry, vanilla and chocolate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For something similar yet different try: 1 large package of instant chocolate pudding and mix in only one cup of milk. Then take a container of frozen "Cool Whip" (let thaw a bit) and mix the two together. It makes a great icing for choc. cake...then I even add "skor" chocolate bar bits on top.

Dianna said...

Excellent! My mom used to use Dream Whip (in the US). I wonder where it went?

Anonymous said...

I find that using instant pudding and thawed cool whip or real whipped cream makes for a tasty and not too sweet icing.The other "anonymous" person added skor bits which is a nice touch.