Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Buckwheat - Russia


The sign on the shelf said "buckwheat" in English. I knew I wanted to buy it and try it.

Growing up I remember my dad making some kind of sweet "porridge" made with buckwheat and ???? - maybe honey??

The directions and everything else on the box except for the email and URL was in Russian (at least I'm assuming it's Russian) - so I had to look elsewhere for information on how to cook the buckwheat.

There is some pictorial directions on the back of the box that look like you put one of the packages directly into boiling water. The box contains 4 packets that have little holes in them. I could have just used that method but I didn't know how long to cook them.


The buckwheat was very easy to prepare. Boil 2 cups of water, drop in 1 cup of buckwheat and some salt. Boil for about 10 min. Let sit and "steam" for 5-10 min. Turned out great. It has a very similar taste and texture to brown rice or cooked barley. I ate some plain with a bit of salt (would be better with a dab of butter too). It tasted best with a bit of diced up onion mixed in.


The girl said "yum" and finished off the sample portion rather quickly. Her brother was rather non-committal with a "kind of good - kind of bad...kind of like black beans" comment. Hmmm did the relationship to black beans come as a result of him seeing the can of black beans on the counter at the time he was doing the taste test??

1 comments:

Heather said...

It is called Kasha and is a staple in all Eastern European countries.I fell in love with it when I studied in Poland. You can eat it instead of rice in most stir fries though it is also good with a little oil or butter and salt or honey or syrup. For some reason (perhaps the bitterness) not so good with cheese. It definitely grows on you--the first time I tasted it I hated it,

A traditional desert in those areas is a kind of rice pudding made with sliced apples and rice with a bit of sugar--just cook it all together till squishy and add cinnamon if you have some (they seldom did). Very addictive stuff.