Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Mexican" Cinnamon Apple Burritos

You know how good the baked apple pies taste at McDonalds? Well actually they don't taste nearly as great as they used to when they fixed them the "old fashioned" way (were they deep fat fried???) - but my kids love them just the way they are.

Here is a low fat, quick and easy, healthier alternative to McDonalds' apple pie...or any apple pie. You don't need to fix a crust (which I've never succeeded at anyway) and the kids can help you prepare the treat.

A couple of years ago I found a recipe in a "Family Fun" magazine - the topic was "Desserts from Around the World". Cinnamon Apple Burritos. Don't know if they actually fix these in Mexico - but if they don't, they are missing out.

Ds asked first if he could be my helper...sometimes both help (which gets tricky)

This recipe, like most recipes I choose - is super simple. Both kids think not only are these delicious, but that they are fun to make ...especially if mom lets them "lick the pot" afterwards (don't worry we actually cleaned out the pot with spoons - I'm not completely lacking in decorum...though my mom might disagree).

I do deviate from the recipe a bit to make these a bit more "healthy".

Apple mixture placed in the middle of the tortilla.

When we made them for supper last night - I used whole wheat tortillas, and instead of "brush each tortilla generously with melted butter, then sprinkle on sugar"...I sprayed with fat free cooking spray and skipped the sprinkle of sugar on the outside - I still added the sugar to the apple mixture (someone emailed me and asked if they were not sour w/o the sugar). Sometimes we include the nuts - sometimes we skip them.

Folding it up and making it stay can be tricky - I had fears the whole wheat tortillas would break apart (since they sometimes do when we use them for tacos) - but they turned out fine (pop them in the microwave for about 15 seconds before beginning work on the tortilla to make them more malleable.

So if you are craving the taste of homemade apple pie - but don't have much time, give these a try. The apple mixture is delicious all by itself...a chunky version of applesauce.



4 comments:

Meredith said...

I will definitely try this.

Andrew didn't like my delicious homemade apple pie this week.

He said, "McDonalds makes the best pies--especially that sauce inside."

Grrr!

Scribbit said...

Oh YUM!

*carrie* said...

Edi,

Thanks for visiting my blog this morning.

These look delicious and easy--great idea!

Jennifer said...

These look yummy. I hope to remember to try these next week!