Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A New Year's Resolution For Us All

I have a very old children's book of poetry. The cover is missing, some pages are missing, torn, yellowed and brittled. The poetry in this book is so clever - I enjoy reading it to my children.

I searched on eBay for old children's poetry books and by seeing some of the books, I think my book was by Marjorie Barrows and that it is called "100 Best Poems for Children". If you ever come across that book - nab it!

Here is a very appropriate poem I came across today.

The Snowman's Resolution

The snowman's hat was crooked
And his nose was out of place
And several of his whiskers
Had fallen from his face.

But the snowman didn't notice
For he was trying to think
Of a New Year's resolution
That wouldn't melt or shrink.

He thought and planned and pondered
With his little snow-ball head
Till his eyes began to glisten
And his toes began to spread;

And at last he said, "I've got it--
I'll make a firm resolve
That no matter what the weather
My smile will not dissolve."

But the snowman acted wisely
And his resolution won
For his splinter smile was wooden
And it didn't mind the sun!

author - Aileen Fisher

0 comments: