Saturday, January 26, 2008

Japanese & French Women Don't Get Fat

I'm not Japanese or French - am I out of luck? Am I genetically doomed for life?? I am rather multi-cultural, a virtual melting pot myself...my dad is Ukrainian and Polish, my mother is Scottish and Swedish. I was born in Canada and moved to the USA. Perhaps the fact that I was required to take French in school and all the products in our home were labeled in English and French, would qualify me as French. I'm French therefore I'm not fat.

Hmmmm I just came up with a new word blending my multi-culturalism - I'm a North American (that takes in both USA and Canada) Ukish (Uk for Ukrainian and ish for Pol-ish, Scott-ish and Swed-ish). N.A. Ukish. Sounds good to me.

A few years ago I read the book "French Women Don't Get Fat". From what I remember of the book - it all boiled down to eating smaller meals and eating them slowly...enjoying the food, rather than rushing around or having a meal on the go. Also - getting more exercise...not driving everywhere you go. The longest documented lifespan of any person in the world - was that of a French woman - Jeanne Calment...so maybe they do have the "secret."

Since I had read the French women book - I was intrigued when I saw a book at the library titled, "Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat." The oldest documented male that lived was Shigechiyo Izumi from Japan. Hmmmm maybe the Japanese have the "secret".

I found the book rather boring - but was able to glean the important ingredients to living a long and thin life...base your daily diet on fish, rice, fruits and vegetables and soy...eat less, no fat-ful sauces...eat rice instead of bread...eat a nutritious filling breakfast...eat small helpings of dessert...don't deprive yourself of foods you really want.

It's not really a bunch of secrets either. It's pretty much common sense.

The book includes a number of recipes and tells you how you can set up your own "Japanese" kitchen...cooking tools you will need and ingredients you should have on hand. I don't plan on setting up a Japanese kitchen - so the recipes, though perhaps interesting - were of little value to me. The secret isn't eating Japanese food - it's following the principles laid out in the book. And you can follow those principles regardless of what ethnic food you eat.

Moderation...self-control...exercise - I think that sums it up.

So really you don't need to move to Japan or set up a Japanese kitchen. You don't have to hire a French chef or move to France. You don't even have to buy the books or read them...you just need to exercise and exercise self-control.

Now if only someone would write the book "North American Ukish Women Don't Get Fat or Get Old"... I'll be good to go!

0 comments: