Friday, January 25, 2008

Oriental Udon Noodle - Mr. Udon!

Being that my kids love all things noodle - I decided to make some "Mr. Udon Oriental Udon Noodles" with some stir fry.

The noodles come in a package, pre-cooked - all you need to do is add them to some boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes. The noodles are soft - not dried. They cost about $1.00 and are from Korea.

The noodles are made of water, wheat flour, salt and acetic acid. There is also a little packet of soup powder that you add to the boiling water and some dried flakes that are sprinkled on before serving.


I liked that the noodles were quick and easy just like the package says - and I liked the way they looked. But that was about it.

The taste wasn't very nice and I didn't like the texture. I was expecting them to be like all the other noodles I ever tasted in my life and they were not...they were kind of slimy. The kids did not like them at all - which was very surprising.

6 comments:

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Thanks so much for visiting me and entering my blog GIVE AWAY!

xo Lidy

Robin said...

Plain (unseasoned) udon noodles generally taste better and are a lot more versatile - you can chuck them into any kind of stir-fry. They're better as a supporting character than a lead ;-).

Fun premise for a blog, I'll have to poke around and read some more.

Unknown said...

The noodles are plain .... its kind of the point. Look at the picture on the package. They are best served in soups with cut vegetables and either cooked shrimp, chicken, pork or beef. They make a meal out of the soup - personally I like it. If you just had them plane you were not giving them a chance.

Anonymous said...

I love udon in general, Mr.Udon in particular. If u eat these NOT as a soup then ur really not eating them the way they were intended to be eaten. Add some Spam, sliced kilbasa, grilled chicken, pork or beef and its a great meal.

Kou said...

I know this post is old, but from the pictures it looked like you drained the broth out. They taste a lot better if you cook and eat them properly.

I haven't had the chicken flavor, but got the seafood one at Big Lots. I found this entry while trying to figure out where I can buy Mr. Udon noodles.

Anonymous said...

You ate them wrong.... they are meant to be eaten in the soup. You slurp the broth as you suck in the noodles. I lived in Japan for 4 years and the Japanese miso flavor of tastes exactly like the udon I used to get in the noodle shops.