Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Homemade Lavash

My dd kneading the dough - my least favorite part of bread baking - so glad to have a child that is now old enough to assist with this part.

I have wondered if my store bought "Afghan" bread was the same thing as lavash - and today I decided to try a recipe for lavash and see how similar it is.


I received this green glass bowl for my wedding and I have used it ever since for making bread.

After I began making the lavash, I realized that it is very similar to the procedures (and the ingredients) for pita bread. The only difference is that lavash requires 4 tablespoons of plan yogurt or milk. I didn't have yogurt so I used fat-free milk (which yes to some of you is the same as tap water).

No problem with forming the dough into little balls...

I had a hard time rolling the dough into ovals or circles once they hit a certain size. It was hard to keep the lavash from tearing and retain it's shape as I placed in on the cookie sheet.

Pretty pathetic looking ovals...

The first lavash I took out was burned - I had placed it on the very bottom rack of the oven at 450 degrees. The top rack one turned out fine. It was quite dry and brittle - more like a soda cracker...nothing like the stretchy texture of the "Afghan" bread. Another name for this bread is Armenian cracker bread - which is very appropriate. I was just thinking that it would taste better with a sprinkle of salt or sesames seeds, when I read that that is sometimes what is added just before baking.

On subsequent ones I varied the time in the oven - so the others came out with a softer, pita bread like texture. These did puff up some like pita bread - but more like multiple, large bubbles.

Lavash stack.

The flavor was pretty dull - I think it needed more salt. And it's not really the kind of bread that you would eat with jam - it's meant to be eating with soups and such. I think it would make a good low-fat alternative to tortillas if you baked them long enough to be crisp (but not burned).

When my dd tasted it she said "This is the best bread you have ever made! It tastes just like the bread from the world food store."

The lavash that was cooked longer and rolled thinner was very lightweight when I took it out of the oven. The ones in the oven a short time - could be used as a type of tortilla.

I am wondering if I had used yogurt instead of milk - whether the texture would have been more stretchy.

2 comments:

Mamacita said...

Oh, what a cool theme for a blog! We homeschool, and we love recipes from other countries. Thank you for the comment you left - sorry about the paint on your fan blades, though. :)

Anonymous said...

can you post the lavash recipe please!