Saturday, May 22, 2010

Puffed Wheat Cake / Squares

A couple of weeks ago I made an old family recipe - Puffed Wheat Cake.

I've probably never tasted it during the 15 years I've lived in the USA - it seems to be more of a Canadian "delicacy".

The first batch turned out hard as rock...as I lay in bed after making the cake I got to thinking that that was not how I remembered it being. It needed to be softer and much more chocolaty.

I made another batch the next day and it turned out WONDERFUL. I'm kind of wishing that I had some right now...but probably best for my waistline that I DO NOT have a big pan of it cooling on the counter right now.

I'm not sure what recipe my family uses - here is a recipe I found online. It's not quite the same one that I used - I made some alterations that I did not record... I know I used waaaaaaay more cocoa - like 6 or more HEAPING tablespoons. Some recipes I read said to bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. DON'T!!!! That will turn this into a pile or rocks. Once it hits boil - take it off the stove.

I remember Grandma McLeod making this when we'd all have a picnic/BBQ down by the lake...sigh

Puffed Wheat Cake
Ingredients:
• 1/3 cup butter or margarine
• 1/3 cup corn syrup
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
• 6 cups puffed wheat
Directions:
1. Combine butter, syrup, sugar and cocoa
in a saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil while stirring over
medium heat.
3. Measure 6 cups of puffed wheat into a
large bowl.
4. Pour mixture over puffed wheat and stir
until all puffed wheat is coated.
5. Press into an 8x8 inch greased pan and
let stand to cool.

2 comments:

CanadianGrandma said...

I will look up my recipe and send it to you...mine does not call for syrup.

CanadianGrandma said...

This is an update on my previous comment. I DO use corn syrup.
Recipe:
half cup butter
half cup corn syrup
3 tbsp. cocoa (Fry's)
1 cup brown sugar
Heat the above on the stove.
Then add 2 tsp. vanilla ext.
Por onto 9 cups puffed wheat & mix.
Put into buttered 9x14 pan. Let it set for 1 hour.