Thursday, February 25, 2010

Breadfruit


We've been trying some new foods lately so hopefully I'll get around to posting them.

We purchased this breadfruit for about $3.00 - I forgot to check what country it originated from.

I was eager to try it until I read that it needs to be cooked - ugh! I put it off for a few days and then went ahead and cooked it before it went bad.

There were streaks of what looked like white paint on the outside of the breadfruit, and it felt kind of sticky after I rinsed it off. I read that all parts of the breadfruit tree produce latex - so maybe that's what caused the stickiness.


I cut the breadfruit in half and placed it cut side down in a casserole dish filled with about an inch of water and popped it in the microwave until soft. Cutting the breadfruit was a bit difficult though not as hard as a squash.

The girl and I tried the cooked breadfruit and neither of us begged for more. It was soft - kind of spongy and at first bite it did have a nice flavor but after chewing it a bit it became very bitter - reminded me of a cooked eggplant. The flavor was kind of bland...probably would have been better if it was prepared properly.

"Breadfruit is a staple food in many tropical regions. They were propagated far outside their native range by Polynesian voyagers who transported root cuttings and air-layered plants over long ocean distances. They are very rich in starch, and before being eaten they are roasted, baked, fried, or boiled. When cooked the taste is described as potato-like, or similar to fresh baked bread (hence the name)." Wikipedia

3 comments:

CanadianGrandma said...

I wonder whether the breadfruit would taste better by frying it. I have no idea how to prepare it. Maybe some of your readers would offer a recipe of some kind. Here's hoping...

Anonymous said...

It looks tasty and I may try it out.

Ruth.

Unknown said...

Mark The bottom of the breadfruit with an x then baked in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hr... the breadfruit should be cut in half and the core should be cut away and the skin peeled. Then slice like you would a cantaloupe. It can be eaten this way or the pieces can be fried.