Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Eating Honeysuckle



The kids have been enjoying the honeysuckle that grows on our fence. Honeysuckle is exotic eating to the two of them!

Getting honey/nectar from a honeysuckle is very tedious and tasteless (which reminds me of a song - see if you can figure it out) unless you are an insect or hummingbird...or under the age of 10.

Last night the boy brought a large collection of honeysuckle to the front steps and proceeded to extract the honey. Click on the photos for a clearer picture of the boy extracting the honey. You grab hold of the little end of the flower and pull out the style (little white stringy thing)...if you are lucky there will be a little droplet of honey/nectar.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I did this when I was a kid... it entertained us for many hours each summer.

CanadianGrandma said...

I,too, ate these as a child at my grandparents' place in Riverland. It was a real treat for me!