Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Making Rice in a Crockpot

Did you know that you can make rice in a crockpot? I just found that out yesterday.

Sure you can make rice on the stove - but whenever I do I either burn it or hover around it and keep checking it to make sure it doesn't burn.

You can make it in the microwave - and I do sometimes - but it always seems to bubble over and make a huge mess.

You can use a rice steamer - and I do have a small one - but having a piece of kitchen equipment that only does one job - isn't the greatest.

Rice in a crockpot is super easy. I have only experimented with this method using white rice (which we normally do not eat...I had forgotten how absolutely wonderful white rice with a light smear of butter and salt and pepper tastes!) and it turned out perfect!

Step 1 - lightly grease your crockpot with butter
Step 2 - add rice and water (2 c of water per 1 c of rice)
Step 3 - turn on high

That's it! I made a HUGE amount of rice and it took close to 2 hrs to cook. I unplugged the crockpot and the rice stayed warm enough to serve, for about 4 hrs.

I'm not quite sure what I'll do with all the white rice...maybe some rice pudding...I will freeze some of it for future use as well.

5 comments:

ames said...

I'll have to give this a try, it doesn't stick to the bottom at all?

I was very against one-purpose appliances until I got my rice cooker and I have to say I use it *all* the time. I've steamed vegetables and dumplings in it and there are even some one-pot rice cooker meals out there too (kind of like homemade rice a roni).

Kara said...

How cool, I will be trying this!

CanadianGrandma said...

I certainly will try this out...a real timesaver!

Lynda said...

Make fried rice... I am a fan of the absorbtion method.. 1 cup rice - 1.5 cup water... salt -- bring to the boil turn down really low for about 12 minutes.. then turn it off if all the water has been absorbed.. works everytime for me.

Blogger said...

Get all your favorite spirits and wines on Duty Free Depot!

All the highest quality brand name beverages for unbelievable low prices.