Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tomatillos


The tomatillo (toe-ma-tee-oh) is a small round fruit (used as a vegetable generally) that is a member of the nightshade family (as are tomatoes and eggplants). These 4 little tomatillos cost 75 cents. Tomatillos are used in Mexican cooking.

The tomatillo is covered in a papery "husk" that when removed, there is a sticky residue that needs to be washed off.

Both kids liked the taste...dd said "It tastes like a pepper - a sour pepper." Ds said "I like it - it is kind of like an apple."


I was surprised how sour it was. Dd was right - it is sour and has the taste of a mild green pepper...the consistency is firmer than a tomato - kind of crunchy and juicy like biting an apple slice.

After tasting it fresh - I cut it up, and made it into a cooked salsa that I mixed in with a taco salad.

3 comments:

CanadianGrandma said...

This is something I will try.It's funny how kids have such a different taste when it comes to food.

Kara said...

I LOVE tomatillos!

ames said...

Tomatillo salsa makes wonderful enchiladas, especially with jack cheese and corn tortillas. Yum!