Monday, August 11, 2008

Homegrown Tomatoes - Exotic?


Are homegrown tomatoes exotic eating? Well if for 11 months of the year the only tomatoes you eat are the pale, tasteless store-bought variety - you'd probably think homegrown were exotic!

Yesterday on our way home from church we noticed a couple of houses with "tomatoes for sale" signs posted. We stopped at a house we'd been to a year or so ago and the tomatoes were $1.50 per lb. Seemed a bit high so we moved on to the other house with a sign - just one street over. Tomatoes - $1.00 per lb.

I walked up the sidewalk to the front porch where a table was set up in front of the living room window (curtains open a crack for peeking I suppose). On the table was a scale, tomatoes and a cash box with a note saying it was "the honor system".

I weighed out 2 lbs and then out walked an elderly gentleman bringing some more tomatoes. These ones were larger - so I got another lb.


The tomatoes were great just sliced and sprinkled with some salt and pepper or on toast with fat-free mayo/salt/pepper/pickle slices.

2 comments:

TheSaxonHus said...

Wow, these look great! Makes me hungry. I don't know if I would call it "exotic" eating. Perhaps "good" eating would suffice.

Jennifer said...

We moved into a townhome recently and have no yard. It's good because we don't have to maintain a lawn, but bad because I can never fulfill my dream of being Farmer Jenn.