Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fresh Lychee

Lychee is grown on trees in Asia. They have a hard, bumpy skin that is hard to peel.

A package of about a dozen of these lychees cost over $3.

After slicing the lychee with a knife we were then able to easily peel off the skin. The inside is kind of a cloudy white color with the look and consistency of a large grape. The lychee is more rubbery and chewy compared to a grape. It was sweet but not very tasty. The girl really liked it though and kept wanting more. Ds had a micro-piece and thought it was nasty.

There is a large seed in the lychee - I've read that the seed is indeed poisonous and that it is NOT poisonous. I'm not in the habit of eating fruit pits anyway - so we just threw away the seeds.

4 comments:

ames said...

I've never really liked the flavor of the lychee, though I have tried to like it many times. Maybe I need to try a fresh one?

Dianna said...

That's really interesting. I've only ever tried canned lychees, and I wasn't terribly impressed. I'd love to give the fresh ones a chance!

TheSaxonHus said...

I might try them if they had chocolate on the inside!

CanadianGrandma said...

I wonder whether it has the flavour of "sugar fruit" found in Papua New Guinea. I did not like it, but the kids loved it!