Monday, June 16, 2008

Sniff Box

I've always been intrigued with Altoids candies. A good part of that intrigue is due to the cute little tins and the fact that they are "Curiously Strong".

The other day I came across a new flavor - Creme de Menthe. The Curiously Strong Peppermint and Spearmint, Ginger, Licorice and Cinnamon have all been tried. I haven't liked any of them very much. But I continue to buy them. Good for clearing out the nasal passages (and the brain), and of course for freshening breath - yet strong enough that I'm not tempted to eat a bunch like I would with regular candy. Altoids fall more into the category of "medicine".

So anywhoo - when I saw the new brand I just had to buy it. The "Creme de Menthe" name made me think they'd be kind of creamy/minty like those little butter mints that you can actually eat just like candy.

I was wrong. These taste very similar to the regular peppermint variety. I can barely eat one.

The boy loves the smell of them. He asked if I would give him the tin when it was empty so he could have it as a "sniff box". A sniff box? What you don't know what one is? Doesn't everyone have a little box of yummy smells that they carry around and pull out at intervals to sniff? Hope this doesn't mean he's a candidate for "smokeless tobacco" :)

And I have to admit - I enjoy opening the box and taking a sniff...that alone clears out the nasal passages.

One other item that I like to just randomly smell when I come across it, are cloves. I guess I could use an empty cleaned out Altoid tin and fill it with cloves - then I could have my own little sniff box.

Any items you like to sniff at random? Legal substances only ;)

3 comments:

Dianna said...

Books. They all smell different. One day my little sister and I took down all my books and smelled them until we sheepishly looked around, saw the piles of books on the floor, and realized what we were doing. And no, we weren't that young. :) Our love for books evidently doesn't stop at the mere reading of them.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the altoids- it does clear up the nasal passages ! I like the smell of new textbooks and the smell of leaves in the fall. Can't get a "sniff" box for that !

ames said...

Coconut, orange, vanilla, cedar, and fresh laundry :)