Friday, May 30, 2008

A Visit to the Zoo

Golden Pheasant - this photo doesn't do it justice - this is one of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen. The bird just kept walking back and forth very quickly and so it was hard to get a good photo.


Yesterday, we visited the zoo for the first time this year.

Since we live within about 1/2 hr of the zoo - we don't feel like we need to go and spend an entire day there...rather we take a 2 or so hour visit. Actually I don't know how folks can spend the entire day there. I saw a middle aged woman appear to be sleeping on one of the park benches. This wasn't a "homeless person" scenario - she looked like a tourist that had had just a bit too much zoofulness.

I wish I had a camera that was a bit more "incognito". Like one of those "spy" cameras they might have used on "Maxwell Smart". I could have filled this blog up with some interesting pictures of the non-animal mammals at the zoo. I would have enough fodder for a years worth of posts for Mrs. Fussypants "Fight the Frump With Fussy".

Anyway, here are some of the "nice" photos I took.

I wish I could have got a better picture of this baby elephant in the water. But the sun was behind him, so what you see is one of the better shots I got of him. There were about 4 or 5 zoo employees watching the elephant and one had a camera. I thought I overheard someone say that it was the first time the baby was going swimming. Have you ever noticed that the mouth on an elephant always seems to have a smiling expression?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those were beautiful pictures ! GOD has made such lovely creatures for us to enjoy !

TheSaxonHus said...

Thank you for the wonderful picture of the giraffe! Giraffes are my favorite and I like to include shots like this in my Old Testament class when I use them to argue for creation and against evolution.