Monday, April 28, 2008

Scott's Porage Oats ... Scottish-Milled Oats

"The True Taste of Scotland" the box of oats read. I'd love to visit Scotland someday - but until then, I'll have to content myself with experiencing Scotland through Scottish-Milled Oats.


Scott's is milled in Scotland. This small box of oats cost about $6 - yikes!

Porage (or porridge) has been a Scottish food staple since the Middle Ages - eaten mostly in the winter.

I usually eat my oats this way: 3/4 c old fashioned oats, 1/2 c milk - leave in the fridge overnight or let sit for at least 15 min for the oats to absorb the milk. Before eating add 1 c frozen raspberries w/Splenda - microwave the raspberries first to warm up and get a bit liquidy.


The Scott's oats have a better taste than regular oats...hard to say what the difference is - it's like the Scott's are less "dusty" tasting (if that makes sense). The consistency is more flaky and when soaked in milk the oats are mushier (good or bad depending on how you like your porridge). I'd probably switch to Scott's if price were not an issue.


I included a photo of regular old fashioned oats (on the left) and Scott's Porage Oats (on the right) so you can see the difference in the oats.

3 comments:

Dianna said...

Do you have any health food stores in your area? If you really want to switch, check out a bulk foods section in one of them. You can find so many awesome grains, and you will likely find these. They'll be far cheaper and fresher than what you find on the store shelf.

Edi said...

I'm sure there are health food stores around here - I've just never visited one. The bulk food section does sound like something I'd enjoy checking out. I need to add it to my "to do" list. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Scottish-milled oats are often called "pinhead oats" or "steel-cut" oats". They are not quite as expensive as they seem because they are usually cooked for a long time (12-20 minutes) in a lot of water, so they puff up more than rolled oats. I like the texture better than rolled oats. I like to replace some of the water with canned pumpkin or alternatively add a spoonful of cinnamon -- not in the Scottish or any other tradition I know of.