Thursday, February 28, 2008

Best Ever Cranberry Muffins


I have had a recipe for cranberry muffins ever since we got married. I cut it out of a magazine and have used it pretty much every year for the past 12 years. I buy a bunch of cranberries in Nov/Dec - make some muffins and freeze cranberries to use the rest of the year. The recipe has been missing for a month or so.

I know cranberry anythings are considered seasonal and it's maybe totally irrelevant to you to have a cranberry muffin recipe at the end of February - but in case you are one of those freezer cranberry stashers - this recipe is for you.

I haven't actually found the recipe itself - but I found one that sounds exactly like the one I used (at least what I can remember of the ingredients).

The kids love these muffins and so do I. I like to make them whenever we have a big snow and have them ready for the kids when they come in from playing outside. Serve with hot cocoa.

Cranberry Muffins

● 2 cups flour
● 1 cup sugar
● 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
● 1/2 tsp baking soda
● 1 tsp nutmeg
● 1 tsp cinnamon
● 1/2 tsp ginger
● zest of one orange
● 1/2 cup shortening
● 3/4 cup orange juice
● 1 tbsp vanilla
● 2 eggs, beaten
● 1 1/2 cup cranberries (cut in half)
Directions:

In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients and orange zest. Cut in shortening with pastry blender (you can use two knives). Stir in juice, vanilla and eggs. Fold in cranberries. Spoon into 18-24 foil muffin cups in the tin.

Bake at 350℉ for 25 minutes or until golden.

0 comments: