Thursday, December 20, 2007

Elderflower Presse Beverage


I have to admit the cute bottle was effectively marketed to me.

The bottle was about 7 inches tall and the labeling was primarily black/white and was written in a fancy script.
Belovoir Fruit Farms in the U.K. is the company that makes these drinks.

I generally do not buy bottled water or bottled juice...if I'm going to buy a bottled beverage it's got to be Coke (or Pepsi)...or it has to have some form of carbonation. The Elderflower met with one of the criteria - the label said "gently bubbling".

With the elderberry, which is a kind of shrub - you can use the flowers or the berries. One thing I read was interesting, "The berries are best not eaten raw as they are mildly poisonous, causing vomiting, particularly if eaten unripe...all green parts of the plant are poisonous, containing cyanogenic gycosides" (whatever those are).
Why do they just say "best not eaten raw", if they are a bit poisonous and cause you to vomit??

The flavor reminds me of a freshly squeezed grapefruit - minus any of the grapefruit bitterness...even smelled grapefruitish.


On the top there was a little sticker that read "drink me chilled"...that kind of worried me...the only time I have been told to specifically drink a beverage cold was when I was pregnant and needing to take the blood sugar test. I think you fast overnight and then need to drink some concoction - "drink it cold, it tastes better", I was advised.


No need to fear. It was tasty. The kids did not like it...though they agreed it tasted like grapefruit (I noticed the ingredients include lemon juice).

It's not going to make me give up Coke - but I think for a picnic or party, these would be fun to have. It would look lovely in a gift basket along with some cheeses and crackers and fresh fruit.

2 comments:

Lorrie said...

What a fun blog you have! I love trying out new foods. Thanks for visiting my blog and for leaving a comment.
Lorrie

Cathy said...

I just found this lovely beverage and am delighted that it is tasty and refreshing and organic. It does taste like grapefruit, although the citrus ingredient is lemon. The bottle is pretty and I save it with the label intact. A stem flower looks nice in it.