Monday, March 8, 2010

Creamed Tuna on Toast

I have quite a few cans of tuna in my cupboard and have been trying to figure out what to make to use them up.

I was this close to making a tuna casserole when I remembered the creamed-tuna-on-toast (CTOT) of my youth. I am not a casserole kind of person - the most casserole-ish item I make is lasagna...and my kids are less-so casserole kind of folk.

When the kids asked "what's for supper?" and I told them, there was definitely some grumbling. The boy seemed kind of shocked when I mentioned that I had even thought about making a tuna casserole.

CTOT is basically flour, milk, butter and canned tuna.

When I sampled what I had made - I thought it was very bland - so I added more butter and some salt and pepper. Once it was poured over the buttered toast, the flavor improved.

To be honest it wasn't as good as I remembered it to be. The girl bravely ate her CTOT and claimed it wasn't too bad. The boy had his creamed tuna on the side and did not like it. The buttered toast though seemed to be a hit with him :)

I don't think I'll even attempt a tuna casserole in the future...

1 comments:

CanadianGrandma said...

Creamed salmon with peas on toast is what I always made. Delicious!