Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Fresh" Raspberries

This morning the kids and I walked to the bank to pick up our passports for our trip to Canada this weekend.

Next door to the bank is a Save-A-Lot grocery store. As it was beastly hot outside I thought we'd step inside there on the way home to see if there were any cold sodas.

While walking past the produce aisle I spotted some red jewels! Fresh raspberries! Well as fresh as they can be having been picked some time ago and then delivered to the store - but at least they were not frozen. The best part was the price - two little containers for $3.00. Cheapest price for raspberries I've probably ever seen around here.

The girl and I each bought a package. The first package was eaten "raw". The second package was sprinkled on tapioca pudding (we love it on tapioca but have always just used frozen ones before).

Biting into my first raspberry transported me back to Nixon Lake, Ontario... Picking your own berries straight off the bush is best of course, but beggars can't be choosers - so Save-A-Lot berries will have to suffice.

I remember picking raspberries and having to look closely inside each hollow center to make sure there wasn't a little wiggly worm tucked inside...

1 comments:

CanadianGrandma said...

I love the aroma of fresh raspberries! It reminds me of my grandparents'place in Riverland where I spent many happy days!