Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I thought I'd show off my Shamrock Plant today in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

Being neither Catholic nor Irish (except for a small part on my mother's side) - we generally don't celebrate S.P.D., other than to perhaps wear green and for my son I'll probably try to come up with a green-ish type meal :)

A friend gave me this Shamrock a couple of years ago - and it is incredible! You just can't permanently kill it!!! For those of us lacking a green thumb (quite appropriate term for the day) - it is a great plant to have.

When my friend gave it to me - it became the first plant in our house. When my kids were young I was not wanting a bunch of plants around for them to grab, knock over, pick off the leaves and eat etc. etc. I didn't know much about plants and so very quickly my shamrock "died". I left it in front of the window for awhile and one of the kids did knock it down. I picked it up - put the dirt back in and the plant was totally "dead". I don't even remember if there was any green showing about the dirt at all.

But for some strange reason (laziness?) - the plant remained in front of the window for some time. Soon we started noticing little bits of green poking up through the soil. There there was more and more until we had a thriving plant going on! I read some info on taking care of it, fed it some vitamins and placed it in a spot where it got some light - but not direct sun and it did beautifully!

About a year later the Shamrock was starting to sag and wasn't looking too great - my friend said to snip the whole plant down to an inch or so and let it revitalize. Shamrock received a shave and a haircut and it wasn't too long before it started blossoming once again.

So if you are looking for a plant that just won't die - or at least won't die permanently - go get yourself a Shamrock. I'd say this is the right day to find them in stores or at the florist.

1 comments:

CanadianGrandma said...

Your Shamrock plant looks great! I believe that this plant needs to "rest" periodically during the year; sometimes, twice a year!