Thursday, February 5, 2009

Weight Training

As I lay in bed this morning thinking (I woke up just after 5 - having fallen asleep before 10 last night - so there was lots of time for thinking as I didn't want to leave the warm confines of my bed) - I realized that February marks my one year anniversary of weight training.

When I finally did get out of bed, I had my personal trainer take my measurements and compare them to my measurements a year ago. Not a whole lot of difference - though I did gain 1 1/2 inches on my biceps. I was happy to see that my neck measurement wasn't much larger :)

Has my affections for weight training grown over the past year? NO - but I'm still pressing on.
I'm just never going to be one of those people that looks FORWARD to physical pain and pushing myself.

My routine has changed over the year from using dumbbells to using a barbell. Also from doing 8 smaller lifts to 4 larger lifts. The lifts I do now are: squat, bench press, barbell row and standing press. I lift 2 to 3 times a week.

In addition to the weight training I also do the NordicTrack daily.

I want to have a mixed exercise routine so once spring arrives hopefully I'll be biking again. I do want to try running again also...I quit last summer after I developed a mysterious side pain that I had for a couple of months - the pain went away when I quit all running and exercise for about a month. When I tried running after the month - the pain returned...so I quit for good. But out of all the exercise stuff I've done - I probably felt the best about running. The NordicTrack is great b/c I do it inside, regardless of weather and I can usually read a book while I'm doing it and it's easy for me to be consistent. But I like running b/c you are outside smelling he fresh morning air, you can hear the birds, see the sunrise...and I really feel like I'm getting a good cardio workout.

But right now b/c I've been typing I've missed my early morning exercise "slot" - and need to go begin school with the kids. When I don't exercise first thing - I think about it all day and can't relax until I've done it. Ugh.

0 comments: