Monday, August 25, 2008

Smile YOUR on Camera



Walking to the grocery store we came upon this sign. It's on the back of a new-ish oil change type place.

Before I was married I worked for a leasing company, and one of my responsibilities was to proofread lease agreements to ensure there were no mistakes that would cause us problems later. My job after I was married, involved working on aircraft repair manuals (typing and proofreading - unbelievably boring).

All this proofreading, coupled with my love for reading, has enabled me to recognize spelling/grammatical errors pretty quickly. This is not to say that I am a spelling or grammatical expert (I especially have trouble with punctuation) b/c I certainly am not! I know my blog has errors, in part, b/c I'm usually too lazy to proofread my own work (bad I know).

Having said all that - I still enjoy finding errors on signs and in published materials. This sign provided a teaching opportunity with the kids.

A few months ago I came across a blog that was about a couple of people going around making corrections to signs, menus, etc. I couldn't remember the name of the blog - but when I Googled I did find this article - I'm not sure if it's about the same guys or not, but still interesting.

Then I came across this recent article - the guys ended up being charged with vandalism after they changed a historic Grand Canyon sign.

1 comments:

CanadianGrandma said...

Finding errors whether on signs or in newpapers can bring a smile to one's face and even a chuckle or two!