Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Homemade Jam

About a year or so ago, I brought home this "Jammin Kit" by Disney. I picked it up for only ONE dollar at one of the many dollar stores around here. It sat in my storage cupboard for about 6 months, then it was moved to the upstairs cereal cabinet where it sat for 6 more months. Once I moved it upstairs the kids saw it and would occasionally ask when we were going to make some jam.




I figured we'd better do it before summer was over, so went hunting for some strawberries. The fresh ones at the grocery store looked pretty lame so I just bought a bag of frozen ones.

I remember my mom making jam...it was probably blueberry or pincherry or crabapple. It seemed like a long, hot process...boiling jars, cooking the fruit, straining the fruit overnight in cheesecloth etc. etc. I wasn't quite up to that.

This kit included everything we needed (except the fruit) and required no cooking, no boiling jars, no straining.


The strawberries were dumped into a large bowl, mashed with my newly procured-from-the-thrift-store potato masher (how did I live almost all of my married life without one?), a package of pectin and sugar were added and then mixed.


Jam was ladled into jars, set out to firm up for about 1/2 hr and then popped into the fridge.


It was so easy and the kids enjoyed it and it counts as "educational", so I wish I had bought a few more of the kits so we could make jam a few more times. But more than likely the remaining boxes would have sat mouldering somewhere for a year or so. I've always have great intentions but have problem with the following through part...I'm sure my mom would say that is how I have been since I was a little girl :)

Of course the kids were so eager to try the jam...and they loved it. How could you not love something that tasted like the topping from a strawberry sundae?


I like how the kit says on the back about it being a family activity and a HEALTHY SNACK.

I rarely ever buy Disney stuff - I've got this thing against Disney. It is not a "religious conviction" or "boycott"... I think the mass marketing of it all just irritates me. I'm tired of seeing Mickey Mouse all over the place, I don't like the whole "princess" thing for girls, I don't for the most part like animated movies...a number of reasons. But I have to say this jam kit was a dollar well spent :)

I checked on-line and you can actually buy this kit through Amazon.com - it's more than a dollar, it costs $11.99...which is still a pretty good price...though not close to the steal I got for $1.00.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Very cool--we finally figured out that there is no reason to stand over a hot stove except to cook the fruit down--most of that was the canning jars. Now we freeze our ham and it is wonderful!

Beck said...

I have the same feeling about Disney, but that IS a cute little kit!
We make freezer jam every summer after our big strawberry picking expedition. Good times!

CanadianGrandma said...

I love homemade jam! Whether it is the easier method of freezing or the longer process of boiling over a hot stove, straining it ,etc. Nothing beats the flavour of one's own jam! Great to see the kids involved!

Blogger said...

Quantum Binary Signals

Get professional trading signals sent to your mobile phone daily.

Start following our signals right now and gain up to 270% per day.

Blogger said...

You might be qualified for a free $1,000 Amazon Gift Card.