Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Patra - Spicy Vegetable Rolls ...India

"Patra is a popular vegetarian dish in the state of Gujarat in the West region of India. Its main ingredient is the leaf of the taro plant. Many different ways exist to prepare the dish - it is commonly rolled up with spices and tamarind paste, then sliced and fried. It is possible to buy tins of prepared rolls of Patra." (from Wikipedia)

The Patra I bought, was frozen. The package picture looked somewhat tasty...rolled up leaves with spices dotting the rolls. It didn't take long for us to all decide on whether or not we liked it.

Ds - "It's nasty!"

Dd - "Nasty!"

I thought it was spicy and sweet with a very strong herb like oregano - tasted like I imagine tobacco would taste. But it does look nice.

When I thought of veggie rolls I'm thinking leafy vegetables, maybe some carrot, onion etc. -but this is what it contained: colocasia leaves, chickpea flour, sugar, sesame seeds, salt, coconut, citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, palm oil, mustard seeds, coriander leaves, curry leaves, green chili, spices.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if it tastes like tobacco I guess I won't try it. It does not look appetizing to me.