Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Does An Apple A Day Keep the Dentist Away Also?

I'm hoping it does.

My dental future though, was etched in stone many moons ago. By the time I realized going to the dentist wasn't so fun and how I wished I had taken better care of my teeth, it was too late.

I have vague memories of being "put to sleep" (not in the way an animal is "put to sleep" but under anesthetic) to have dental work done when I was very young.

I have other memories of getting the "Mickey Mouse Nose" as my childhood dentist called the "laughing gas" that was placed on my face while dental work was being performed. I'd say there wasn't much laughing going on.

Yesterday I went to the dentist to have my crazy broken tooth (from Christmas Day) finally fixed. I kept putting it off until I started worrying that maybe more bits were going to break off and I'd end up in a bigger fix (and have a bigger bill) - if I didn't get it fixed now.

So I made an appointment - far enough in advance to give myself some time to build up my courage, but not too far in advance that it would be broken to bits by the time my appointment arrived.

My dentist is a jolly character. He seems familiar - like a character in a Dickens' novel - but not sure which one. The way he talks and jokes constantly. The way he moves his hands. I know it's all about putting the patient at ease.

Of course there was almost zero pain. Even the shot of novacaine didn't hurt b/c a topical numbing agent was first applied. It freaked me out a bit when my tongue also started feeling numb. I have visions (or maybe I've read stories...urban legends??) of some of that numbing stuff going down my throat and me being unable to swallow and breathe.

No pain was good - but oh the sound of the drill! The grinding, the vibration. I wondered, if I opened my eyes and looked, would there be smoke wafting up into the air. I was wondering too, if the only way I'll realize that the novacaine didn't quite work, would be when it was too late to do anything about it.

The dentist continually made soothing remarks and complimentary remarks on his dental handiwork. It was all finished within about 30 minutes. It ended with him thanking me for my "poise".

Walking out - I thought again how I wished that I could have taken better care of my teeth during my younger days. A few less candy bars, a few more toothbrushings.

3 comments:

FrazzMom said...

I have total dental phobia, so I totally understand! I'm glad your ordeal is over :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't know which is worse...going to the dentist or having a COMPLETE medical check-up ! I dislike both !

Kristen said...

I feel your pain. I'm 35 and still afraid of the dentist. Some things you just never conquer!