Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Foodoodler Eggs - Winter Bazaar


I hadn't planned on dyeing Easter Eggs with the kids this year. Partly due to laziness, partly due to the fact that we will be out of town for Easter and partly b/c the kids didn't ask.

Well they didn't ask b/c they thought up the idea on their own to just color the eggs with markers...without mom knowing about it. They turned out OK - my concern was that the marker ink got through onto the inside of the egg...though the marker pkg had been long thrown away, dd was "sure" that they were non-toxic (probably all kiddie markers are anyway). But this gave me another idea.

Last yr I bought some Foodoodler markers - markers that are specifically for writing/drawing on food. So today when we boiled some eggs for eating - dd asked decorating eggs and since mom was in on the project this time - I got out the Foodoodler markers. A package of 8 markers costs about $8 (plus shipping). I found mine on eBay.


Dd liked using the doodlers better than the traditional way of coloring eggs b/c it allowed more creativity. Ds who had a hard time coloring his eggs - said he liked dyeing eggs better.

For more Winter Bazaar ideas - head on over to Scribbit.

5 comments:

We are THAT family said...

I love that idea. . . markers. I'm got to go get supplies because my kids think Jesus' stone can't roll away UNTIL we dye the eggs. It's a theology issue.

My Ice Cream Diary said...

We love using markers. Another quick way is to use water colors, stickers, crayons, and finger prints with ink pads. I will do anything to get out of the traditional dying method. (plus my son still can't understand why "dye" doesn't mean we are killing the eggs and I just choose not to go there again this year)

Those eggs are so cute! So much more personal than dying.

Good & Crazy said...

I'd use the markers and THEN dye them too!

Anonymous said...

"Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall".
This rhyme, which always brings tears to my eyes, comes to mind whenever I see decorated Easter eggs. You aren't going to smash those pretty things are you? When I was a small child I watched in horror as my mother destroyed my masterpieces to make egg salad sandwhiches. She even made me eat one! Please don't put your children through the same horror I experienced.....

Scribbit said...

Terrific idea--just in time for our decorating tomorrow!