Thursday, February 7, 2008

Chinese Brocolli

It didn't look much like broccoli and it didn't taste much like broccoli. It was actually much better than "regular" broccoli.

Chinese broccoli a.k.a. Gai Lan, Kai Lan, and Chinese Kale, is a leafy vegetable with tiny flowers. You can eat the stems, the leaves and the flowers.

I prepared the CB by just chopping it all finely - didn't use the thick trunkish parts or the small flowers.

I fried it in a small amount of olive oil and added a sauce made of soy sauce, rice vinegar and I think some beef broth (similar to what I used when I cooked up some bok choy). It cooked up looking very much like bok choy or cooked spinach.

I liked it a lot and would definitely buy it again. It cost $1.83 for the amount showed in the picture.

Dd didn't like it, Ds said "I like it but wouldn't eat a whole lot."

Chinese broccoli is high in Vitamins A & C.

0 comments: