Monday, December 31, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding


I needed some sort of bread for our supper of "left-offs" and so decided tonight was the night for my boxed mix for Yorkshire Puddings. The mix came from Goldenfry Foods in Wetherby, W. Yorkshire.

All I had to do was add one egg and some water...the mix is poured into a muffin tin that has had oil warmed up in it.

First of all I decided maybe I could just use cooking spray in place of the oil. Nope! When I took the tin out of the oven there was just some blackish liquid inside. I took out another muffin tin and this time put in a small amount of corn oil. Wanting to save the calories - I just put a dribble in each opening which I think was a mistake.

The puddings never did rise much about the edge of the tin, which I'm thinking was due to the lack of oil (??) - I may have also opened the oven before they were finished - which is a "no no".

When I tasted the yorkshire pudding it had a very familiar texture. Ds said "it tastes just like french toast without anything on it". And actually it did. Ok I just realized the texture - like biting into one of those twisty shaped donuts (cruellers?) that are super soft...kind of a moisty chewiness inside, but not sweet like the donut.

It didn't taste like a biscuit at all. The kids did not ask for seconds as they normally would with biscuits or homemade buns or rolls - and dd said "it has a strange taste".

Here is a recipe for making yorkshire pudding from scratch (most foods taste better from scratch - so I imagine the puddings would). Also, typically the puddings are served with gravy or baked in a pan with some beef drippings - that would definitely improve the flavor. Here is another version of the recipe - this one baked in a small square pan instead of muffin tins.

Here is an explanation of why it's called "pudding", and here is some additional information on yorkshire puddings.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I've never had Yorkshire pudding. Fun to read about your experiment with it.

The Correspondent said...

I've always wanted to try Yorkshire Pudding ever since I read the following description in 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (one of my favorite authors):

"Yorkshire Pudding out of this world, we have nothing like it, I had to describe it to somebody as a high, curved, smooth, empty waffle."

I think I like the link to the 2nd recipe best. I'll let you know the results if I give it a go.

Steph Garvey said...

Thanks for your suggestions about Microsoft Money!