Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Guava (fresh & canned)


















We were eager to try the guava after reading about it - but I let it sit for awhile to make sure it was ripened to the proper consistency. I cut into it - we tasted - and were much disappointed!

It was hard-ish and had almost no taste at all. Not ripe enough? Just a bad one? Out of season? Don't know the answer. But then I found some canned guavas and decided to give it a try.

The canned guava was great! There were about 8 smallish guavas in the can, packed in syrup. I was happy to find out that they have about 5x as much vitamin c as an orange and they are high in fibre.

The flavor reminded me of an apricot. Dd said, "It has the texture of a pear and tastes like a combination of a pear and an apricot. Ds said "ain't as bad as mashed potatoes."

The guavas were full of tiny, hard seeds. In the canned guavas they were fairly easy to just scrape out with a spoon or fork. If they were not so expensive canned, I would buy these more often. If you don't like the idea of all the added sugar in the syrup you can rinse them under water before serving.

0 comments: