Wednesday, March 26, 2008

WFMW - Rolling Pin Substitute

I have a big, wooden, clunky rolling pin. Don't know where it came from but I've had it for years.

Sometimes I don't like dealing with the hassle of cleaning a rolling pin after using it, so I came up with a solution. A tall, thin, water glass.

If I'm making biscuits I just dust the glass with a little flour and roll out the dough. Works fine for cookie dough also. Just pop it into the dishwasher when I'm finished with it. And actually if you're making cut biscuits - you can roll out the dough with the glass and also use it for cutting out the round biscuits.

The only thing a glass might not work on would be a heavy dough like bread dough.

This little trick has been working for me for many years now. For more Works For Me Wednesday tips - head on over to Rocks in My Dryer.

4 comments:

Britni said...

I actually use anything round like my Pam non-stick spray when I don't have my rolling pin. It really does work.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you could stick that in the dishwasher. I need to be daring!

ruth said...

That's a very nice idea. When I was 18, I was a nanny for a rich family. One day, the mother told me, "There is rhubarb in the backyard. Make us a pie." Fortunately, my parents grew rhubarb and I knew how to make rhubarb pie. Unfortunately, I could not find said rich lady's rolling pin. But I did find a bottle of wine which I used to roll out the crust. It was a tad hard on the label. Very unfortunately, it was a very important, expensive and impressive label. At least, it had at one time been impressive. I did not know that drinking wine was more about the label than the wine in the bottle. Well, you learn something new every day. I guess that lady learned the better of commanding her nanny to make rhubarb pie (it was a really good pie, though--I felt like Amelia Bedelia).

Dianna said...

That's awesome. I had a roommate who used to use her non-stick spray can, to, because we didn't have a rolling pin.