Saturday, February 23, 2008

Southwestern Chicken Barley Soup

I rarely use recipe books. I have a few that I reference from time to time, but for the most part, if I'm looking for a recipe I search online.

I have a binder that I keep any recipe that I try online and like. I also include in there any recipes that I have tried or would like to try, that I have torn out of a magazine.

I like using an online "cookbook" b/c I can alter my search requests based on what I have on hand. For instance if I am looking for a carrot cake that is low fat and uses applesauce to replace some of the oil - I can type it in just like that. I don't have to weed through a million other carrot cake recipes looking for one that uses appleasauce.

On Friday I decided I wanted to make a soup using two main ingredients I had on hand and wanted to use - chicken and barley. I googled my search words and Voila! A recipe popped up on the Allrecipes.com website that sounded delicious - "Southwestern Chicken Barley Soup". We like spicy foods - so I took a quick gander at the ingredients and decided it would work.

It tasted great! The alterations I made were: skipping the 1 can of chopped green chilies, using the quick cooking variety of barley (and used double the amount) and instead of a combo of water and chicken broth - I just added about 3 or 4 cans of chicken broth

So if you are looking for a yummy soup recipe this weekend - give Southwestern Chicken Barley Soup a try!

0 comments: