Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Canada Trip - Day 5

Tuesday we made a trip into Winnipeg (about 30 miles from homebase). We had originally planned on taking a walk along the river from the Forks. The Forks is "...truly Winnipeg's meeting place. Just steps away from the city's financial and downtown shopping districts, The Forks National Historic Site offers a tranquil respite from urban hustle and bustle. The pathways that weave around this quiet, historic green space are ideal for walking or cycling. The Red River walkway offers views of historic St. Boniface, downtown Winnipeg, and the dramatic L'Esplanade Riel pedestrian bridge that connects the hub/centre of Winnipeg with the historic French-quarter of St. Boniface. The walkway extends through the nearby Forks Market area all the way to Manitoba's Legislature building grounds and the Osborne Village shopping and restaurant area."

Unfortunately due to all the rain, the walkway was under water :( and our plans were nixed.

As an alternative, two of my sisters and I went to my favorite thrift store - Value Village. I procured a set of 4 glass egg cups (b/c I cannot find the ones I already had and my kids love eating hardboiled eggs), a hinged tin with Canada pictures (might use it for storing tea bags), about 8 Trixie Belden mystery books for the girl (a favorite series of mine when I was a child) - the girl already had a few but in the USA they are hard to find so I was happy to come up with this stack. I also found an old western children's book for the boy.

Another great find - I couldn't believe it when I saw on the shelf, a book titled "The Wooden Horse". Only a few months ago, after researching the story behind the movie "The Great Escape" - I found out that another escape had taken place at the same prison camp and a book was written about it - "The Wooden Horse". Only a couple of men escaped - they dug a tunnel underneath a wooden vaulting horse. Even better is the fact that the edition of the book I found was for older children - and as both children loved "The Great Escape" - they were both clamoring to read it first.

After thrifting we went to my sister's house for lunch and then off to Kildonan Park. Kildonan Park, with the "Witch's Hut" in the summer and the sled runs in the winter - hold some memories I wanted to pass along to my kids. The Witch's Hut - supposedly the home of the evil witch in "Hansel & Gretel" is less scary than I remember and a lot smaller. I'm sure the name alone is a drawing card for children all around.

The most amazing thing happened as we were leaving the "Witch's Hut" we "bumped" into my Aunt D!! As our time in Canada is limited and mostly everyone lives at least 30 miles from my parents' place - we had not planned on visiting relatives other than our immediate family. So, it was a nice surprise to see her and get to chat with her for awhile. An added bonus was the fact that she had two of my cousin's sons with her and it was fun to see them - especially since the 5 yr old was the spitting image of his father.

Dragonfly caught by the girl

1 comments:

CanadianGrandma said...

Trixie Beldon books are good as well as Cherry Ames(My favourite!) & Nancy Drew. Brings back sweet memories!